How Much Water To Drink?
I drink a lot of water, or at least I thought I did. I typically drink about a gallon and a half of water a day, which seems like it should be way more than I need, but it turns out that is the approximate amount my body needs.
I had always heard from credible sources that a person should drink 8, 8 ounce glasses of water a day. But, for me, that ammount of water wouldnt even keep me hydrated for half a day. So, below are 5 rules to keep in mind for proper hydration.
1. 8, 8 ounce glasses of water a day may not be enough for you.
2. To calculate your actuall water needs, divide your body weight in half. That number is the amount of water, by ounces, you should intake daily.
3. Drink an additional 8 ounces of water for every 20 minutes of active exercise.
4. You take in a portion (about 20%) of your water needs through food.
5. Your body will tell you when it needs water. If your thirsty, have a drink of water, and you will always be fully hydrated.
So, in my case I would take my body weight (220lbs) and divide it by half, giving me 110 ounces. Then, I add my hour run. So that is an additional 24 ounce-- (60mins/20mins)x8. I should be drinking 134 ounces of water, which is a little over a gallon. I also drink a lot of coffee and I'm outside in the crazy, hot heat, so 2 gallons is almost the amount I need.
Just like in my case, trust your body. It will let you know how much water it needs.